As Burnaway adapts to significant changes within visual art and the publishing industry, we’re building a staff with an eye for long-term growth and change as we plan significant shifts in how we present art writing and criticism. The Program and Operations Coordinator will support our growth by collaborating on membership, advertising, merchandise, and other operational tasks. This role will also support our public and educational programs’ development, production, and promotion.
This full-time, junior-level position reports to the Executive Director (ED).
We are only seeking candidates in Atlanta, GA – this is a hybrid role in the office one day a week.
Read about working at Burnaway.
What You’ll Do
Education & Programs (30%)
- Assist ED in planning fundraisers/special events throughout the year
- Assist in the production of artist projects and accompanying programs
- Collaborate on education programming and production
- Manage our internship program as a point of contact from application to completion
- Creating the monthly member-exclusive newsletter (with our editorial team)
- Manage our donor and member databases
- Organize member meetups and promotions
- Coordinate new member outreach and acquisition
- Prospect and pitch potential ad clients toward internal goals
- Coordinate ad placements with clients
- Collaborate across the entire organization on social media
- Prepare materials for other forms of marketing
- Coordinate between internal and external marketing partners
- Review general emails (info, events, and ads), replying to and forwarding messages as needed
- Other tasks and duties as required
Merchandise and Online Retail (10%)
- Manage and promote the Burnaway store
- Process and ship new orders
- Develop new inventory in collaboration with Editorial and ED
A successful Program and Operations Coordinator has:
- Enthusiasm for contemporary visual art, also with varied interests outside of the field
- A view of programs and educational opportunities as opportunities to find intersections between the arts and other areas of concern to the public
- A nuanced understanding of relationships between individuals and institutions related to contemporary art in Atlanta, the South, and (inter)nationally
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- The capability to work simultaneously on short- and long-term projects
- Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail
- Critical but collaborative sensibility; must be able to maintain healthy, sustainable relationships inside and outside the organization
- A capacity to “walk in stupid” daily: acknowledging what you don’t know, what you do, and a desire to grow the latter
- Experience using the following software and technology: WordPress, Microsoft Office, Google Workplace suite, any donor or membership system, and Illustrator/Photoshop
Compensation and Benefits
This role is $37,000 annually.
Rest and personal care are essential: all staff have twenty days of flexible paid time off (in addition to US federal holidays, and a mandatory break between Christmas and New Year’s Day). We offer employer-supported medical, dental, and vision care, alongside a retirement plan with matching contributions.
We maintain a four-day workweek, Monday-Thursday. Some time on weekends may be required.
Please submit the following to [email protected] with the subject line “Last Name, First Initial – Program and Operations”:
- A brief cover letter
All completed applications received on or by 12/31/2023 receive priority, with the position open until a qualified candidate is selected.
We expect to onboard the selected candidate in late January to early February 2024.
If there are any questions, email [email protected]. No calls, please.
Burnaway is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment regardless of race, educational status, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. We strongly encourage people of color, rural, femme-identifying, LGBTQ, non-degreed, disabled, and indigenous applicants to apply. If you feel you might fit this position, please apply.
Burnaway is an Atlanta-based magazine of contemporary art and criticism focusing on the Southern United States South. We online weekly and in print annually.