About the Position
Editors at Large are essential to Burnaway; they’re on-the-ground storytellers and ambassadors for the publication—providing the region’s most expansive, detailed, diverse, and rich view. Selected candidates provide critical perspective and involvement in their local community with a collaborative approach.
We are looking for people in Houston (TX), the Caribbean, Appalachia (KY, Eastern TN, or WV), and the Carolinas.
Responsibilities & Duties
Editors at Large report to the Editor; we expect 30 working hours per month. While remote, this position may involve in-person meetings in Atlanta (we provide travel support).
Editor at Large responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Identifying local and non-local writers to commission new writing in your area
- Working with writers and our Editor to edit and prepare the final publication of 2-4 pieces per month
- Contributing your writing to the online publication and the yearly print Reader
- Maintaining an organized contributor database and editorial calendar
- Attending necessary meetings, including a monthly editorial and other virtual and in-person meetings, as needed
- Logging and submitting writer’s pay to our contributor database
- Upholding Burnaway’s Standards for Contributors
- Serve as an Editorial mentor during our annual Art Writing Incubator (every June-July)
- Produce two public in-person or IG programs (we will support you in facilitating this)
- Support our print edition public release events (if held in your area)
Experience & Qualifications
- Substantial knowledge of contemporary art
- Minimum two years of editing and/or writing experience
- Proficiency with project-management platforms
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency in oral and written English language required; Spanish or Haitian Creole proficiency is a plus
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- A strong commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
We do not require a college degree – a demonstrable mix of knowledge and experience is more important.
This is a contracted position at a base rate of $600/month. Additional compensation is provided for serving as a mentor/editor during the Art Writing Incubator, pieces you write, and programs you participate in. We understand that candidates may have an artistic practice or pursue activities beyond Burnaway.
This role will initially run for one year, with opportunities for annual extensions.
Please submit the following to [email protected] with the subject line “Last Name, First Initial – Editor at Large”:
- A brief cover letter
- CV/Resume (as an attachment)
- One writing sample (as an attachment)
All completed applications received by 12/15/2023 will receive priority; this role is open until a qualified candidate is selected in each area, with expected onboarding in mid to late January 2024.
If there are any questions, email [email protected]. No calls, please.
Burnaway is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All applicants will be considered for employment regardless of race, educational status, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status. We strongly encourage people of color, rural, femme-identifying, LGBTQ, non-degreed, disabled, and indigenous applicants to apply. If you feel you might fit this position, please apply.
Burnaway is an Atlanta-based magazine of contemporary art and criticism focusing on the Southern United States. We publish online weekly and in print annually.