Nine artists from nine Southern states have been named finalists for the Southern Prize, given by the Atlanta-based organization South Arts. Each receives $5,000 and a two-week residency at Hambidge, and a chance to take home the $25,000 grand prize or the $10,000 finalist award. to receive State Fellowship awards of $5,000 each.
The winners will be announced at a ceremony on April 16 in New Orleans.
The 2018 State Fellowship award recipients are:
- Amy Pleasant, Birmingham, AL. Painting.
- Anastasia Samoylova, Miami Beach, FL. Photography.
- Paul Stephen Benjamin, Scottdale, GA. Multidisciplinary.
- Garrett Hansen, Lexington, KY. Multidisciplinary.
- Jeremiah Ariaz, Baton Rouge, LA. Photography.
- Dominic Lippillo, Starkville, MS. Photography.
- Meg Stein, Durham, NC. Sculpture.
- Kate Hooray Osmond, Charleston, SC. Painting.
- Vesna Pavlović, Nashville, TN. Photography.
The finalists were selected from close to 700 applicants by a panel comprising Ade Omotosho of the Pérez Art Museum Miami; Jan Davidson, former director of the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC; Mark Scala, chief curator at the Frist Center for the Visual Arts in Nashville; and Scott Stulen, director and president of Philbrook Museum of Art in Tulsa.