Burnaway, Inc. seeks an experienced professional to lead its Atlanta-based publication.
Burnaway is an Atlanta-based magazine of contemporary art and criticism from the Southern United States, published online weekly and in print annually. Since 2008, the magazine has brought vital critical dialogue to one of the country’s most expansive regions, filling a critical gap in national arts media which often overlooks the South’s many diverse and dispersed arts communities. A non-profit, Burnaway’s mission is to support and promote the vibrant cultural landscape of the South through publishing consequential art criticism and other stories, and by training new writers in the region in order to build a diverse and equitable arts ecosystem.
About the Position:
Located in Atlanta, Georgia the Executive Director will lead Burnaway, overseeing all programs, fundraising, business development, and strategic planning. The Executive Director sets the vision and tone for the organization, acting as the public face and mobilizing the Board of Directors and staff in support of Burnaway’s programs, while ensuring the mission is fulfilled across all programs, strategic planning, and community outreach.
The Executive Director position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following duties:
Contributed Revenue: Fundraising and Development
- Manages robust development programs encompassing government agencies, private foundations, corporate sponsors, and individual giving.
- Manages grant calendar and ensures applications are submitted and all reporting requirements are met.
- Pursues new family and private foundations for funding opportunities including submitting LOI’s, attending in person meetings, and networking.
- Implements targeted giving campaigns and appeals throughout the year.
- Supervises advertising trades and in-kind marketing opportunities.
Earned Revenue: Special Events, Sales, and Advertising
- Manages Burnaway’s Advertising program including soliciting new clients, selling placements to existing clients, and publishing ads on the website.
- Ensures that advertising data is collected and communicated to clients and that invoices are sent and paid.
- Oversees development and management of special events throughout the year such as Art & Amble, Art Fairs, and other cultivation events.
- Oversees Program Coordinator and management of the Burnaway Store including the sale of artist editions, merchandise, and other sources of earned revenue Burnaway can offer.
Other Duties (Summarized)
- Works with the Board of Directors to ensure they are empowered to support the organization’s fundraising goals.
Program Development and Management
- Works closely with the Editorial Team to develop new program offerings and refine existing programs to be more cost-effective, impactful, and mission aligned.
Bookkeeping and Financial Management
- Crafts and tracks annual operating budget alongside the Board Executive Committee.
- Maintains financial documents and coordinates audits, taxes, and financial reviews as required.
- Hires, manages, and terminates all employees of the organization, setting appropriate salaries and drafting all job descriptions.
- Point of contact for human resources complaints and issues.
PR and Marketing
- Develop strategic partnerships with artists, galleries, and organizations to increase and maintain Burnaway’s role within the communities served.
Minimum Requirements for Consideration:
Education: Minimum bachelor’s degree from accredited institution
Development: Demonstrated fundraising ability and passion for building development relationships
Grant Writer: Proven history of grant writing wins.
Leadership: Dynamic team leader with strength in administrative process
Communication: Strong writing and verbal skills
Technology: Microsoft Office, Excel, Google Suite, Social Media,
Project Manager: Loves to create engaging, profitable events for the community
Ambassador: Passionate communicator of Burnaway mission to constituents
Administrator: Powerful lead in office and financial administration
Georgia Local: Must live or be willing to relocate to Atlanta, GA. This is not a remote position.
Burnaway is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and references to [email protected]. All material can be address to the Board of Directors.
Applications will be accepted through Fall 2021, and applicants will be contacted for interviews on a rolling basis
The desired start date for the role is Winter 2021, but the position will remain open until filled.
Burnaway offers a competitive salary with full healthcare and retirement benefits.