- Hagedorn Foundation Gallery Has (Not) Closed
- Q&A: Catching up with Maggie Ginestra
- 200 Words: John Harlan Norris at Historic Arkansas Museum, Little Rock
- Q&A: Jane Garver On Her Upcoming “Process Residency”
- Transcending Signifiers in “Identified: A Queer Variety Show”
- 200 Words: Sarah Hobbs at the Carson McCullers Center in Columbus
- BURNING QUESTIONS: My Show Got Dissed!
- BURNAWAY’s Random and Biased Guide to the ATL Film Festival
- Seriously Funny: “Pratfall Tramps” at ACAC
- Charlie Lucas Is In Transition at MINT
National Black Arts Festival Honors Sheila Pree Bright and Deborah Willis
The National Black Arts Festival will be honoring Atlanta photographer Sheila Pree Bright and photographer, New York University professor, and historian of African-American photography Deborah Willis at its annual benefit event Fine Art + Fashion. Held on March 20 at Neiman Marcus at Lenox Mall, the event is expected to attract about 400 guests. The event recognizes artists who have a positive impact on global fashion, as well as a strong connection to the arts and culture of the African Diaspora.
Bright’s series of “Suburbia” photographs were on view at Barrington Hall in Roswell last month, and her project 1960 Who?, consisting of 14 large-scale portraits of Freedom Riders and members of the Atlanta Student Movement, were installed on walls in downtown Atlanta and the Old Fourth Ward last year.
Willis is the curator of the traveling exhibition “Posing Beauty In African American Culture,” in which Bright is included. The show appeared at the Spelman College Museum of Art last fall and opens at the Virginia Museum of Fine Art in Richmond on April 26.
Student designers Danielle Gordon of Clark Atlanta University and Kendra Pickney and Jessica Fulks of the Savannah College of Art and Design will receive this year’s NBAF Emerging Talent Awards. Established in 2010, this award recognizes students of African descent who have distinguished themselves as cutting edge and innovative fashion designers. Each receives a $3,000 cash honorarium.