- Studio Visit: Carolyn Carr
- The Book Behind Prospect.3
- Paint, Process & Poetry: Mary Addison Hackett at David Lusk in Nashville
- New Curator for New Orleans CAC
- Countdown to Prospect.3 in New Orleans
- Two Nonprofit Galleries Publish for Posterity
- AUDIO: BURNAWAY AT DBF / Hez Stalcup & Sean Hilton
- “Get Real” Examines Contemporary Realist Painting, at MOCA Jacksonville
- Elevate Atlanta Prepare for Liftoff
- Look Closer: Benjamin Britton at Marcia Wood
Theory in Studio
Everyday seeing has its limits. Stare hard toward the horizon and your eyes slip as they...
Writing about photography, more than perhaps any other medium, tends to be stained with sourness, skepticism,...
A highlight of the second half of 2012 has been the presidential debates. It was a...
More Theory in Studio News
Theory in Studio: Judd, James, West, and the Future of Beauty in America
Will America resist its obsession with comfort, contentment, and convenience to explore new frontiers...
- by Alex Robins - Posted September 19, 2012
Theory in Studio: George Orwell and the Art of Writing Criticism
Contemporary arts critics could stand to learn a few tips from George Orwell's examples.
- by Alex Robins - Posted July 11, 2012
Theory in Studio: Judith Butler and the Politics of Images
Judith Butler extends a means of defining political art that incorporates society's response to...
- by Alex Robins - Posted May 2, 2012
Theory in Studio: Ode to Roland Barthes—Already Dead Not Yet Dead
In this installment of Theory in Studio, Alex Robins explores the works and contributions...
- by Alex Robins - Posted March 30, 2012
Theory in Studio: Jean-Paul Sartre and the Crisis of Pronunciation
Galleries talks often involve philosophical name dropping. Ever get annoyed at the pronunciations? (Bonus...
- by Alex Robins - Posted March 7, 2012
Theory in Studio: John Dewey, Champion of Art as Experience
The American philosopher John Dewey lived from 1859 to 1952—a happy accident of birth...
- by Alex Robins - Posted January 11, 2012
Theory in Studio: Walter Benjamin and the Concept of Aura
Please welcome Alex Robins who writes BURNAWAY’s first edition of Theory in Studio, a...
- by Alex Robins - Posted December 7, 2011