- Thomas Hart Benton’s Fertile Lessons
- Patience and Painting
- Katherine Taylor’s Coastline Elegies
- Andrew Alexander, Amy White, and Melissa Messina Recognized for Good Arts Writing
- Jennifer Schwartz Quits Dealing, Starts Crusading
- Art Crush: Maggie Ginestra’s Neutral Loyalty
- Charmed, I’m Sure: The Importance of Artist Residencies
- Collecting: Growing Up with Art
- Psyche in the Bedroom: The Paintings of Karen Ann Myers
- 200 Words: Matthew Craven at Get This!
500 Mile Radius
The bedroom is a hallowed, shrine-like environment for the women in Karen Ann Myers’s work. These...
Recently I went to visit the talented and always affable Amy Pleasant in her studio, located...
J. Johnson Gallery in Jacksonville Beach, Florida, stands just about a block from the salty shores...
More 500 Mile Radius News
Our Front Porch: A Place for Art, Talk in Little Rock
The idea for BURNAWAY originated from a front-porch conversation about the need for more dialogue...
- by Haynes Riley - Posted October 25, 2013
Yarn Bombs, Love, and Affection at the Arkansas Arts Center
“A loop after a loop. Hour after hour my madness becomes crochet. Life and art...
- by Elaine Slayton Akin - Posted October 24, 2013
Good Weather, Garland House Draw Artists to Little Rock
All over the United States, museums and commercial galleries seem to be receding in...
- by Sarah Leflar - Posted October 23, 2013
Sonic Youth’s Kim Gordon Gives Silent ‘Joan’ a New Score
On October 2 Kim Gordon, formerly of Sonic Youth, and collaborator Bill Nace performed...
- by Andrew Alexander - Posted October 21, 2013
Pinned Up: New Directions for Lexington’s Oldest Visual Arts Organization
Louis Bickett did not curate Currents, the new exhibition at the Loudoun House in...
- by Christine Huskisson - Posted October 11, 2013
In 200 Words: Daniel Newman’s INTRODUCTION TO FEL-TECH in Jacksonville
Daniel Newman’s recent show INTRODUCTION TO FEL-TECH explores arcane systems, what the artist...
- by Daniel A. Brown - Posted October 3, 2013
Sister Cities: A Conversation on Documenting Drag in Birmingham and Atlanta
On August 26, artists Aubrey Longley-Cook and Sonja Rieger talked about their bodies of...
- by Aubrey Longley-Cook and Sonja Rieger - Posted September 27, 2013
Review: Dawoud Bey’s The Birmingham Project at the Birmingham Museum of Art
If the single criterion for a successful show were the quality of its...
- by Brett Levine - Posted September 26, 2013
Review: Mark Flood’s Facebook Farm at beta pictoris gallery
Just another day on the Facebook Farm...
- by Lilly Lampe - Posted September 26, 2013
ARTSpeak: Guido Maus of Beta Pictoris Gallery in Birmingham, AL
Listen to this week's ARTSpeak to hear from Guido Maus about his gallery, beta...
- by Claire Maxwell - Posted September 24, 2013
In Conversation: Talking Cultural Records with Vesna Pavlović
"You have to recognize that an image can be representative of everything that was...
- by Karley Sullivan - Posted September 11, 2013
Contemporary Heritage: Artists and Administrators Re-envision Nashville Culture
As with any developing cultural city, Nashville certainly has its fair share of growing...
- by M Kelley - Posted August 23, 2013
In 200 Words: Bruce Monro’s Light at Nashville’s Cheekwood
British artist Bruce Munro’s latest installation, Light, intersects manicured hills and Seuss shaped hedges...
- by Alyssa Rabun - Posted August 22, 2013
In 200 Words: Vik Muniz at Nashville’s Frist Center
Throughout his photographic career, Vik Muniz has long established alternate ways of creating images...
- by M Kelley - Posted August 22, 2013